Sighted (and Cited) at Other Sites

Sonya Taaffe has been interviewed at Bookslut by Geoffrey H. Goodwin. I can make the claim to having been the first to interview Sonya, but I'm glad I'm not the last, because she is overflowing with interesting things to say. For instance:
Ordinary life should not sacrifice its detail just because the man eating an avocado-and-sprouts sandwich in the kitchen happens to be a unicorn, nor should the strangeness of his presence be softened just because he likes vegetarian sandwiches and reads Rilke. (Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.) The otherworldly made totally mundane is just as bad as a fantasy where no one ever has dirt under their nails.
Every vegetarian unicorn eating sandwiches is terrifying...

Magma Poetry offers an amusing, contentious list from Roddy Lumsden of Mistakes Poets Make, including:
Ending. A. Poem. Like. This. Is. Often. Crap.
The new Internet Review of Science Fiction has been posted. Just when you thought it was safe to read it (because I haven't had anything in it this year), Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvold write the article "Is Slipstream Just a Fancy Word for Voice" and quote me. And then Bluejack goes and reviews my story "Variables", offering a description of it that I liked a lot: "Possibly, a time machine has been built. Possibly it has screwed up the world. Something has." (And do I mind that it's, at best, a mixed review? Not in the least. It's an honest and accurate review. That's what counts. If you want everybody to like everything you do, don't put it out there for any and all to read.)

I'm trying not to continue to talk about the stuff that got me cited by Lake and Nestvold, because I think I'd just keep repeating myself, and that can be an ugly sight. I think most of the people who have responded to my "Old Equations" column have raised interesting issues, developed the ideas in various new directions, and often been far more brilliant than I ever could have been (see in particular Hal Duncan and everyone in the comments section of David Moles's site, especially Ben Rosenbaum). At the moment, I'm rather fond of what Elizabeth Bear has to say.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders