Today's Song

I needed something different to listen to, and so picked up the Johnny Depp/Gore Verbinski/Hal Wilmer-produced anthology Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys, which is often odd in interesting ways. (I just wish it included Tom Waits, since his latest albums have been put out by the same label, Anti. But since his 3-CD Orphans is coming out in November, I ain't complainin' too mightily...)

One of the least odd and most affecting songs on the album is Richard Thompson's version of "Mingulay Boat Song" (MP3), which I have found myself listening to repeatedly today.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders